Sunday, June 11, 2006

Fisting of the Week

After reading this article from the NY Times, I know who needs a good fisting. To all the bureaucrats and politicians in the MTA who commission studies and reports but never actually DO anything, I am proud to present to you the Fisting of the Week.

(Hey, this might be a new feature.)

You might think the Fisting of the Week should go to the bastards who set off the bombs in London, but we can't recognize them until they're identified. No, my friends, we've got to doff our caps to those wonderful folk running the MTA in NYC. If you had $600,000,000 to spend since the attacks of 11 September 2001 toward making capital improvements with the aim of securing the transit system of New York City, don't you think you might have found a way to spend more than just $30 million of it. So far, the MTA has given us a public campaign telling transit users, "If you see something, say something." That, plus they've hiked fares.

Keep in mind that just this past winter a fire was set in a switching room that crippled a part of the subway system for days. The fire was set by a homeless person who was doing nothing more than trying to stay warm. (That's the story as I recall, but since this is the Internet, I don't have to check my facts...caveat lector.) Imagine what an Evil Doer could accomplish with a homemade bomb. Now, look at London.

I have only lived in NYC for a year, but I feel I have the right to do what New Yorkers do best--complain about everything and spout my opinion as if it is the last word. To date, the only thing that has changed in this country since 11 September 2001 is the level of fear and intolerance among the masses. Our leaders have managed to foment even greater bigotry than before the attacks in NYC and Washington, DC.

Over the past few weeks, while strolling with my fiance, I have seen, on city sidewalks, Muslim men on their prayer mats (in most cases, a flattened cardboard box), kneeling toward Mecca while engaged in devout prayer. I admire that level of devotion and faith, as I am a faithless heathen. Do you know what most redneck fucks think of this display of faith? That's right, they'd like to string them towel heads up from the nearest light standard.

This is, after all, the country that guarantees inalienable rights, unless you are a darkie or a broad or a slant-eyed or a wetback. Just because the signs have been taken down doesn't mean that there still isn't Separate but Equal in the USA. But who am I kidding? There ain't no "equal" about it. That is, however, they way things work in this world. Humans are chickenshit pathetic little fucks, especially the spoiled, lazy, and "entitled" blobs that call themselves Americans.

~~

I started out wanting to bitch about the MTA and government inertia and ended up ranting about the status quo. Wouldn't it be interesting if the news comes out that the bombings in London on 7 July 2005 were the work of domestic antiglobalization amateurs who wanted to upstage the G8 summit?

Two words to remember: Timothy McVeigh.

Whether the attacks were by Al Qaeda or homegrown fucks, London's back on familiar ground. War is declared, and battle lines are drawn in quicksand. I can't help but wonder what Joe Strummer would have to say about all this. I think I'll go back and listen to some old Clash and refresh my memory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home